Curried Carrot Soup with Crunchy Chickpeas
- 15 min
- 1 h 15 min
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) of Baxter butter
- 1 can (540 mL) of chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and thoroughly dried
- 2 mL (1 tsp) of Madras curry powder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 mL (½ tsp) of turmeric
- 454 g of carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds
- 1 L (4 cups) of chicken broth
- 60 mL (¼ cup) of Baxter 35% whipping cream
- Sea salt and black pepper
- For the crunchy chickpeas: Preheat oven to 350oF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the chickpeas over the baking sheet, then drizzle with 15 mL (1 tbsp) of butter, mixing to coat the chickpeas with the oil. Generously season with salt and pepper and roast for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chickpeas are golden. Let cool at least 1 hour (the chickpeas will crisp up as they cool). Set aside.
- For the soup: In a large pot, heat the remaining 15 mL (1 tbsp) of butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the turmeric, carrots, chicken broth, 2 mL (½ tsp) of sea salt, and some black pepper. Simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Process to a very smooth consistency, then return to the pot and stir in the 35% cream.
- Serve the soup with a generous sprinkle of crunchy chickpeas.
A tasty, creamy butter that is churned to perfection. Ideal for sandwiches, baking or cooking, Baxter’s butter is a must for every fridge.
The choice is yours – whether in coffee, on pastries or as an ingredient in your favourite recipes, we are sure you will find the perfect Baxter cream that will fit your needs.