Coddled Eggs with Leeks, Green Peas, and Smoked Salmon
- 15 min
- 30 min
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) butter
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced thinly
- 125 mL (½ cup) frozen green peas
- 65 mL (1/4 cup) Baxter 35% whipping cream
- 65 mL (1/4 cup) Baxter milk
- Zest from half a lemon
- 5 mL (1 tsp) fresh dill, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 hot smoked salmon fillets, broken into pieces, skin discarded
- Fleur de sel or other flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh dill
- Chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 170oC (350oF). Oil four 250 mL (1 cup) capacity ramekins, and place into a large baking pan with high sides (such as a lasagna or a roasting pan).
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Sauté the leeks until very tender, about 10 minutes. Add the green peas, cream, milk, lemon zest, and dill. Whisk to incorporate, then lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins. Top with pieces of smoked salmon, then crack an egg over each serving. Pour boiling water into the large baking pan halfway up the ramekins’ side, making sure not to spill water into the ramekins. Carefully transfer the pan to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Season each serving with fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with dill and chives. Serve immediately, with crusty bread alongside.
The choice is yours – whether in coffee, on pastries or as an ingredient in your favourite recipes, we are sure you will find the perfect Baxter cream that will fit your needs.
Made fresh everyday, Baxter milk is a delicious part of your day. As a nutritious option, Baxter milk is an excellent source of calcium, protein and vitamin D for the whole family. You can always count on Baxter’s great tasting quality milk.